Import & Export Requirements

Idaho has species-specific importation requirements. Please use the information provided here to answer any questions you may have, but remember that you are responsible for being in compliance with Idaho's import requirements and you should always contact the Idaho State Department of Agriculture at (208) 332-8540 or (208) 332-8560 if there are any questions or you are unsure as to what is required for your specific situation. Because we know many veterinarians are not at a computer every time they need import requirements, we have also developed a brochure that summarizes the import information for each animal type.

Recent Events Impacting Imports into Idaho:

As of October 23, 2015 the following states have had premises under quarantine for Vesicular Stomatitis (VS) within the past 30 days:
           - Colorado
           - Nebraska
           - New Mexico
           - South Dakota
           - Utah
           - Wyoming
Animals located on a premises where VS has been diagnosed may not enter Idaho. All other livestock coming from these states require an entry permit and the following statement on their CVI: "All animals identified on this certificate of veterinary inspection have been examined and found to be free from Vesicular Stomatitis. During the last thirty (30) days; these animals have neither been exposed to Vesicular Stomatitis nor located within an area where Vesicular Stomatitis has been diagnosed."

Updates to the VS status of any of the 50 states will be noted in the current USDA Situation Report.


Effective April 6, 2015 - Equine moving between the states of Idaho, Oregon and Washington are exempt from having a current EIA (Coggins) test prior to movement. All equine are still required to have an interstate Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (iCVI or Health Certificate) prior to interstate movement. This testing exemption applies only to equine traveling between the states of Idaho, Oregon and Washington.

Effective June 1, 2014 - For imported bulls, Idaho will accept (negative) Trichomonas foetus results from pooled PCR samples run at an approved lab. 

The ISDA Animal Health Laboratory can perform pooled T. foetus PCR testing.  Veterinarians should collect individual bull samples and submit them to the lab.  The lab will take aliquots from each of the individual tubes to form a pool of 5 (maximum) for PCR testing.  Please contact the ISDA Animal Health Laboratory for more information and submission forms.  (208) 332-8570

On March 5, 2014 ISDA issued an administrative order regarding Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus (PEDv). This order requires that CVIs for all swine entering Idaho include the following statement:

     “To the best of my knowledge, swine represented on this certificate have not, within the last 30 days, originated from premises known to be affected by Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus (PEDv) and have not been exposed to PEDv.”

All pigs entering Idaho have always been required to have a CVI signed by an accredited veterinarian stating the animal is disease free, has not been fed raw garbage and has not been vaccinated with any psuedorabies vaccine. All pigs also require an entry permit.


Effective March 11, 2013 USDA is changing the individual identification requirements for cattle and bison moving interstate. Official identification includes: orange brucellosis vaccination tags, USDA silver tags, and 840 RFID tags. Registered breed association tattoos or tags, and brands registered with the state brand board may be used if accepted by both the state of origin and the state of destination. Currently common brands are acceptable as identification from Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. CVIs must still note that the animals have individual identification.

Please see the Identification information on the Cattle Import page.


Effective April 2011 All bulls 12 months and older must be tested negative to Trichomoniasis no more than 30 days prior to entry into Idaho. Bulls under 12 months which are virgins may enter with a virgin bull statement on the CVI.


**California and Michigan have different requirements for Bovine species than those listed on the Cattle page, due to their Tuberculosis and/or other disease status. If you are sending cattle from any of these states, always call ISDA before the cattle leave your state.
*This document is in .pdf format.